Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tess Strikes Out Alone

My lone journey started two nights ago, when mom stayed snuggled in bed while Red and I hit the town of Burgos with our American friend Chris in search of the tastiest pintxos (small bar snacks) the city had to offer. The next morning mom decided she needed some time off and would meet us a few days later. For the first time since the start of the trip over two months ago, mom and I would part ways. Independent women striking out on their own.

The highlights and lowlights of my solo adventure:

- Walking to Hornillos while sick, breaking out in a cold sweat and begging my feet to keep marching forward, even though my body wanted to crumble beneath me.
- Running into our beloved Camino friends Leon and Trudy after thinking I would never see them again (it's been almost a month since we saw them last!) Big hugs and smiles, and suddenly, my little cold didn't seem all that bad.
- Watching an insane thunder and hail storm from the safety of the albergue shower after just having made it to town. Nearly 100 soaked pilgrims were turned away because they ran out of rooms in the village. The streets were rivers, so I trampled to the bar in my flip flops, letting my feet become one with the water.
- Being serenaded by 12 adorable high school graduates from America while eating dinner. Bagpipes Included. These boys came to the Camino with no money, singing and juggling everyday for money and food. We bought them rounds of beers and cheese sandwiches, which they ate and drank in approximately five seconds. Not a crumb was wasted.
- Sleeping for 11 hours last night after dabbing my bed and body with tea tree oil to ward off bed bugs we were warned lived in the area. The blankets provided at the albergue were disgusting - more stains and smells than stars in the night sky - but at least they kept me warm. Lizzie has deemed them "dog blankets".
- Accidentally mooning an old Spanish man while getting on my upper bunk in a dress. Red said his eyes lit up with shock and delight. My good deed for the day.
- Walking through thick mud most of the day today. Large mud shoes formed around my boots, making every step twice as heavy.
- But to make the muddy walk to Castrojeriz bearable, the Camino sent Red and I two new friends to talk to along the way - Hannes, from Belgium, and Juliano from Portugal (who is the perfect gentleman, helping ladies through the mud and scolding Hannes for letting me walk on the inner side of the road rather than on the shoulder out of harms way).

Now mom and I have rejoined once again. We're currently drinking wine in the lounge of our hotel after we discovered the town's albergue is full. Will have dinner tonight with new friends, and tomorrow, Team Escargot rides again.

----------

More Burgos...


So many parks and green promenades in Burgos. And EVERYONE enjoys them, no matter the age. Parades of old folks and couples with baby strollers engulfed us at every turn, while taking their Sunday strolls.


Another reason to love the city - their obsession with books. These outdoor booksellers are a permanent fixture of city life.





















The same boys who ended up serenading us the next night. Here they wow Burgos crowds.


The youth protest the economic and political climate in Spain.



The protestors' makeshift homes and gardens on the square.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Castrojeriz, Spain

4 comments:

  1. "His eyes lit up with shock and delight."

    --That would be a great first sentence to a book!

    Gutter-minded I am not, but that sentence stood out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. That WILL be the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Mama K have to walk alone or did she have new buddies as well???

    Mama J (aka Julie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stayed in bed 24 hours while the mojo slowing leaked back in. Tried to catch a bus the next day to meet them at the end of their days hike, but not possible. So . . . true confessions . . . I took a taxi. Guilt was overridden, however, when the taxi driver told me it had been very slow that days, and that I made his day.

    ReplyDelete