Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Guapas

As Red and I walked together today, a biker took the time and energy to stop and tell us, "Buen Camino, guapas" - guapas essentially meaning 'hot chicks'. One thing I must thank the Camino for (and believe me, there are many) is a very acute boost in my self esteem. Never in all my life have I been so gawked at, whistled at, blown kisses to, stared at with quiet approval and wonder as I walk by, filmed with smart phones, winked at, flirted with, come on to, double-taked at, hit on or asked to take pictures with. I no doubt have made it into many a Spanish fantasy, probably wearing my short hiking shorts (my pants got stolen by a cleaning lady!)

Now, if you know me, you know I am not conceited. Or vain. In fact, I have slung many a curse word, snarl and insult at the mirror over these past 30 years. So this has all come as quite an amusing and lovely surprise. Just yesterday, a trucker craned his neck and popped his head out the window to blow a kiss at Red and I. Marvelous man! In L.A. I am average at best. In Spain, I am dynamite. At home, I might scorn these men and their ogling. Here, I say, 'bring it on!' Why not be put on a pedestal for once (no matter how creepy that pedestal is), even if just for aesthetics? I'm a feminist, yes, but in Spain I gladly accept my Guapa Crown.

So, ladies, if you yearn to be appreciated for what you were born with or have worked hard to create, buy a plane ticket, pack your bags, don't even bother with shaving and get yourself to Espana.

----------

Palas del Rei to Arzua. Mom had the camera all day, so the pics are from her and many from Red who was nice enough to take what she calls, "Tess pics" for me. Glad to know I have a style.





Artist at work.


Couldn't be clearer.











These odd structures hold mainly grain, but we've also seen hens and corn.








Action shot.








Girl power!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Arzua, Spain

1 comment:

  1. I just dont understand why all that surprise?? You both are "guapas"!! ;)

    ReplyDelete