Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Walk Amongst Giants

It's late, and mom is already sawing logs, but just wanted to share with you some pictures from yesterday's hike from St. Gervais sur Mare to Murat sur Vebre; another grueling adventure, but at least we undertook a few miles by car. Sure, it's cheating, but I dare you to ask me if I care.

The highlight of the day was the overwhelming feeling of being so utterly small and insignificant as we walked for miles on mountaintops amongst massive, looming, swirling windmills. As the rooters propelled the slender white blades round and round overhead, giant shadows swung at our feet like pendulums threatening to cut us down. I leapt over a few. Just for fun. Until my baby toe blister cleared its throat and politely asked me to knock it off.

The windmill picture is one of a hundred we took, none of them managing to capture the awe we felt tiptoeing beneath these majestic steel beasts. Perhaps we should have tried a video, as I would have loved to have bottled that distinctive sound - the steady whoosh of electrified air being pushed through the trees and echoing off mountainsides. It's like no sensation I've ever known. And it made climbing the tallest peak before the Pyrenees very well worth it.
























These slate slabs are a popular style in the region. No accounting for taste.





Our home for the night and a wonderful Gite. Sunbathing. Easter chocolates on the dresser. Fantastic dinner with an avocado app I promise to share the recipe of. Warm fire. Great conversation with our hostess Maripol (so sorry if I've butchered the spelling!) And two cats that gave us lots of love, proving that not all French cats are snobby.





If mom wasn't snoozing, I'd get the artisanal cheese plate pic we took at dinner off her camera. But I guess it's always better to leave your audience hungry for more...


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:France

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful, Tess. The countryside looks so peaceful and bucolic. I love seeing them. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I would love to take full credit, Mom and I both take the pics. It usually depends on who has the energy that particular moment to snap it. ;)

    ReplyDelete