Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A New Fear

As if I didn't have enough fears to contend with, I turned on the TV last night to my new obsession "Criminal Minds" (a show about serial killer profilers) and low and behold, it was an episode about the pilgrims of Santiago de Compostela.  Apparently, a serial killer posing as a priest for the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela church (the church marking the end of our pilgrimage) was convincing people their loved ones and fellow pilgrims were possessed by the devil, and then would kill them in ritualistic exorcisms to fight the evil and set their souls free.

Okay...  Really?!!!  Are you kidding me?!!  Yes, I know it's fiction, but for the love of the Camino, why?!!  Of my long list of fears and trepidations - being robbed by roving gypsies, falling off a cliff, Norman Bates-like hotel proprietors, dog attacks, un-bathed hippies who want to hug you, co-ed refugio showers, Euro-trash stalkers - never did I factor in homicidal sociopaths disguised as priests hellbent on talking my mother into believing I'm possessed by demons and in need of a deadly exorcism.  Needless to say, it's going on my list.  And, mom, whatever you do, don't believe them.  I may seem scary at times, but I'm simply cranky and tired, alright.   And my eyes... they're just red from lack of sleep, I swear.

2 comments:

  1. No worries dear. Who even thinks of these awful story lines, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe it! What a strange coincidence right? And in answer to your question, screenwriters like me think of this stuff. Guilty!

    ReplyDelete