Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thank You, Erica Piedra

Kay:

She was my French teacher for 3 semesters at City College. I think of her at the pharmacy where I can ask for things for my ampoule (blister) coup de soleil (sun burn), and un pansement (bandage). It is great to ask for and understand directions, request things politely, express gratitude when people go out of their way to help us and to be able to make polite chit-chat across the dinner table with complete strangers. I'm not afraid to ask for information in the train station, discuss the wifi and other mysterious problems with hotel management, get the laundry done and and order food. Even the French educational system is not a mystery. This, incredibly, came in handy one night at dinner. Charlotte of "Chez Charlotte" renown - fixes dinner for her guests on Wednesday when the only restaurant in town is closed (ferme). Her daughter was visiting on school break. After some discussion of her studies, I was able to ask her if she was in "prepa". Surprised, and, I would like to think - perhaps a mark up for Americans. Not that I don't have my share of blank stares, barely surprised smiles and the occasional chuckle. Trying to communicate in a foreign language, Learned as an adult, is a humbling and amazing experience.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:La Salvetat-sur-Agout, France

1 comment:

  1. Tess, I felt exactly the same as you when visiting Croatia in 2003. I'd studied Croatian for a little more than a year and could converse using basic words. People were thrilled that an American could say anything in their language. But it was daunting to try to learn as an adult. You are doing well! Diane

    ReplyDelete