Wednesday, March 30, 2011

We Find A Theme Song

In the last few weeks or so this particular song has come on the radio a handful of times.  Mind you, I listen to a 80s/90s music station, so it makes sense for this 1988 one-hit wonder to be in heavy rotation.  Finally, as I was shower singing to it for the umpteenth time, I thought, 'Okay, I get it.  I'll take the hint.  Yes, you can be our Camino theme song.'  And the song is...

"I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers, a Scottish band made up of twin brothers.  That oddity alone makes it rather fitting for the bizarre journey we're about to embark upon.  The chorus lyrics are the most pertinent:

"But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be that man who walked a 1000 miles to fall down at your door."

The best part of this particular song is that the man is using this '1000 miles promise' as an exaggerated declaration of his love.  It's the grandest expression of his fervent desire that he could think of.  1000 miles!  Wow, he must really really love her!  And here we are, mom and I actually walking 500 miles and 500 more, and most likely, falling down at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela's door.  We are literally fulfilling one man's idea of the craziest thing he could do for love.  I'm not sure how it all ties in, but for some reason, I like the sound of that.

Now for a special treat, the music video of our Camino Theme Song...


The Proclaimers - I Would Walk 500 Miles by nex3uk

No comments:

Post a Comment