Saturday, March 26, 2011

Let The Transatlantic Stalking Begin

Some of you Camino readers have mentioned that you'd like to know the various cities we'll be wandering through.  Mainly, I'm sure, so you can say, "Hey, I've been there!", which is one of my own favorite pompous pastimes.  "Oh look, Rick Steves is in Cinque Terre...  I've been there!"  "You've traveled to Alaska?  You don't say.  Well, I've been there.  And we went by car over 5,000 miles.  Did you say you flew?"  "Paris is lovely, I agree.  I've been there... twice.  On Bastille Day.  Which happens to be my birthday."  Yes, when it comes to travel bragging, I can be a very ugly person.

The other reason to share the itinerary is a selfish one.  In case we for some reason get pilgrim-napped or find ourselves in a sticky "127 Hours" type situation, it would be great for all of you to know where to retrieve us and our insanely toned bodies.  The authorities will surely find an itinerary a useful tool.  I'm just including the names and mileage instead of the dates because if you've ever seen an episode of "Law & Order" or "Criminal Minds" you know that it will make it that much more exciting and tension-filled for law enforcement to have to put together the clues and connect the dots themselves.  Can't make it that easy for them!  So here goes (and if you'd rather be surprised day-by-day on the blog, SPOILER ALERT, read no further):

From Barcelona we take the train to Arles, France (favorite stomping ground of van Gough, and, yes, I've been there) and the harebrained adventure begins.

FRANCE LEG
Arles to St. Gilles, 12mi
To Aigues Vives, 17.4
To Montpellier, 18
To Aniane, 17
To St. Jean de-la-Blaquiere, 14
To Lodeve, 9
Rest Day (Thank goodness because I'm already exhausted.)
To Le Bousquet d'Orb, 17.3
To St. Gervais sur Mare, 13.2
To Murat sur Vebre, 13
To La Salvetat sur Agout, 11
To Angles, 11
To Boissezon, 11
To Castres, 9
Rest Day (Hitting my head against a wall as I write this.)
To Dourgne, 12.6
To St. Felix Lauragais, 19.2
To Avignonet-Lauragais, 13.8
To Baziege, 18.6 (The beginning of our walk along the canal.)
To Toulouse, 19
Rest Day
To L'Isle Jourdain, 17.5
To Aubiet, 18.8
To Auch, 12.6
To Montesquiou, 19.2
To Marciac, 13.8
To Maubourguet, 11
To Anoye, 13
To Morlaas, 11.4
Rest Day
To Lescar, 11.7
To Oloron Sainte-Marie, 17.3
To Bedous, 15.5
To Col de Somport/Candanchu, Spain (Hallelujah!)

SPAIN LEG
To Jaca, 18
To Puenta La Reina de Jaca , 17.7
To Artieda, 14
Ruesta to Sanguesa, 17.5
To Monreal, 16
To Puenta La Reina, 19 (Liz and Em meet us at long last.)
Rest Day
To Estella, 13.2
To Los Arcos, 12.6
To Lograno, 16
To Najera, 15.6
Rest Day
To Santa Domingo de la Calzada, 12.6
To Belorado, 13.2
To San Juan de Ortega, 14.4
To Burgos, 13.
Rest Day
To Hornillos del Camino, 12
To Castrojeriz, 12.6
To Fromista, 15
To Carrion de los Cueza, 9.6
To Sahagun, 13.2
To El Burgo Ranero, 10.8
To Reliegos, 18
To Leon, 13.8
Rest Day
To Villadegos, 13.2
To Astorga, 15.6
To Rabanal del Camino, 12.6
To El Acebo, 10.2
To Ponferrada, 9.6
To Villafranca del Bierzo, 14.1
To LaFaba, 13.8
To Triacastela, 15
Rest Day
To Sarria, 10.5
To Portomarin, 12.9
To Palas del Rei, 14.4
To Rabaniso, 15
To Arca de Pino, 13.2

Then drum roll, please...

TO SANTIAGO, 11.4
Rest Day/Week/Month/Year/Life

I have to admit that in writing this all out, waves of nausea and anxiety are washing over me, so if you don't mind, I'd like to excuse myself to go curl up in the fetal position and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment