Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Sunny Sienese Square

Cold Italian beer,
Sweet tarta of marzipan,
Kissed by Tuscan sun.



There seems to be nothing the people of Siena love more than congregating in the piazza to lounge, laugh, love and soak in some rays. The square is packed with tourists and locals alike laying like lizards on the cigarette butt dotted cement. As Hannes and I enjoyed our post lunch dessert, my head in his lap with my straw hat perfectly placed to shade my face, I watched two female college students cram for an exam with a full bottle of white wine nestled between them. It reminded me of when at UCSC my roommate and I would quiz each other on the beach by our house. Hardly felt like studying at all with warm sand between your toes. What is it about the sun that makes even the bleakest task feel... brighter? Thankfully for Hannes and I, though, the only thing we were studying that day was Rick Steve's guide to Siena, which led us to an amazing fresh pasta lunch (of which I'll linger over for you in a separate food blog) and a day of paying homage to a life lived under the Tuscan sun.


Me with my Sienese props.


The Duomo - every town's got one.


Another type of religion...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Lago Trasimeno

No comments:

Post a Comment