Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Mighty Guinigi Oak





In the Tuscan town of Lucca - a city surrounded by a mighty Renaissance stone wall and ramparts - you'll find the colossal Guinigi Tower on top of which are planted four oak trees, their growth stunted but their roots firmly planted. It's as if, perturbed by the fact that they couldn't see over the city's wall, the trees decided to seek higher ground and form a new utopian society. Wind-whipped and sun drenched they've watched over the city like acorn launching super heroes.

It was there amongst these four oak amici watching the sun set over the ancient homes of Lucca, as my husband snapped pictures of what he calls my "wild turkey face" (i.e. the riding all day in the Campervan gypsy look) that I realized what it is I love about this land so much - that overwhelming, all-consuming Italian desire to catch a glimpse of beauty and magic no matter the obstacles that lay in one's path.

----------

More Lucca snapshots...



















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Siena, Italy

1 comment:

  1. You have definitely caught that "glimpse of beauty" in these photos. I love them. Diane

    ReplyDelete