Friday, July 1, 2011

Believe

Well, my gypsy friends, it's over. Technically speaking, mom and I have come to the end of our Camino journey. Yesterday at noon we stepped foot on sacred ground in front of The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, took off our backpacks, set down our poles, hugged each other and said farewell to the pilgrim life we have known for so long. As I think about the journey and my original mission statement before embarking, I have come to realize that this trip hasn't been about conquering fears at all. For me, it's been about letting go of the old and lightening my load, so that new and wonderful things can find a home inside my mochila. But, most importantly, this wild walkabout has been a search for something to believe in. And here is what this humble Californian pilgrim believes in now...

I believe in Lowa hiking boots and their ability to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
I believe that a mother and daughter can endure 1000 miles and three months of travel without killing one another (that doesn't, of course, include coming close).
I believe in the international family of pilgrims and their ability to put all differences aside to sleep in tight quarters with one another and share in the making of a phenomenal pasta dinner.
I believe in the power of the Camino to transform one's life, consciousness, faith and, of course, body!
I believe in my mom and that adventures do not stop at 64.
I believe in my feet, legs and back, and their infinite well of strength, agility and stamina (aided, that is, by an influx of cafe con leche and ibuprofen).
I believe that amazing friendships and lasting bonds can spring from a simple "Buen Camino".
I believe in quests, because answers come only when we seek them out.
I believe in the goodwill of the German people, as they're the ones who turned in mom's camera after I left it at a bar on the last day of walking.
I believe in myself and that I'm worthy of the gifts the Camino has given me.
I believe that if you simply put one foot in front of the other, your scenery will change and new destinations will come into view.
I believe in this very minute, as the one before and the one after don't mean nearly as much.
I believe that life truly is "like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get".
I believe that nothing is as far away or out of reach as it seems.
I believe in the remarkable healing powers of a day off and a good night's sleep.
I believe that when you're a foot deep in the muddy Meseta of life, that someone will come along to lend you a hand and help you to drier ground.
I believe that everything you truly need CAN fit into a single backpack.
I believe in the magic of positive thinking.
I believe in magic.
I believe that it's better to keep walking than to curl up in a fetal position and quit.
I believe in the kindness and generosity of others.
I believe that you are never lost; only just off-track.
I believe that trekking poles are a godsend.
I believe in the Camino's ability to untie any and every knot inside you.
I believe that life really can be a deliciously romantic movie.
And, although this Blackheart never thought she would say it, let alone believe it, I believe in true love and it's ability to find you in the most unlikely of places when you least expect it.
I believe that nature and exercise can heal the soul.
I believe that what doesn't kill you WILL make you stronger.
I believe in the miraculous beauty of ear plugs.
I believe that we have to do our best to nurture our planet, because without babbling brooks and waving fields of wheat and boisterous cuckoo birds and dainty lilac butterflies, life simply isn't as rich, nor as magnificent.
I believe that talking to yourself for endless hours throughout the day doesn't mean you're crazy... does it?
I believe that, as with the tallest mountain or mosquito infested valley or rain soaked 17-mile walk, there is nothing that can stand between two women and their dream.
And, above all else, I believe that the Camino doesn't end in Santiago; it's only just begun...

----------

Arca de Pino to Santiago. We left at 4am, so much of the journey was in the dark. The starry sky was crystal clear. Mom made the trek even though she was sick, which just proves what an amazing lady she is.


Monte do Gozo, before entering city limits of Santiago.


Almost there!


The gang arrive tired and hot, but happy to have made it.


Local flavor. Seafood and cheese win out.














Pilgrims wait in line to get their beloved Compostela certificates of completion. The tellers look over your credential stamps to make sure you haven't cheated. Mom and I have two books each - that's how long we have been on this crazy roller coaster ride.


Pilgrim donkey.





Mom and I are official!


Goodbye sweet boots! You have earned your right to retire.


Protestors on the Cathedral square.





Police are there in full effect to make sure things remain peaceful.


The Cathedral in all its glory.


The supposed remains of St. James.





Camino memorabilia is everywhere, and nothing is sacred.


Our parador. Isn't it grand! Pilgrims no more... But in our hearts, pilgrims we remain.


Farewell paella dinner.





Sunset on Santiago.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Santiago, Spain

12 comments:

  1. You ladies look damn good for all that schlepping!! I cannot wait to congratulate you both in person and hear these stories LIVE. So so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are remarkable, amazing women. I so admire what you have accomplished. I can't wait for you to return. I want to see the well-earned certificates and hear more. You have done a wonderful job, Tess, of taking all of us armchair travelers with you on this journey. Thank you for that. I loved the stories and the photos. Congratulations on making it all the way to the end. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of both of you. It put a lump in my throat as I read the last blog. It was great to see both of you holding your certificates. Tess, you are an AMAZING writer. I enjoyed each and every post. I can't wait for your books to come out. Deb M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful parting blog. I got a little teary eyed. I will miss your posts, but know that the Blackheart Chronicles will pick-up where the gyspy left off. I congratulate you all. But above all, I have missed you & look forward to seeing everyone soon.
    God's Speed,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have looked forward to reading your postings every day and will be going through Camino withdrawal along with you. What an adventure we have had!!
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful final blog of the journey, you made me cry & I'm at work so that's a little inconvenient! Congratulations on your & Kay's huge accomplishment - I cannot believe 1000 miles! Thank you so much for sharing the adventure with all of us. Debbie O.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wonderful ladies will keep amazing that big gypsy world out there... So happy to have met you on this incredible journey! Look foreward to see you again and want to thank you with all my heart for all the friendship and love you gave me! 1000 miles is incredible and you all did it!!!
    You did move me so much on this trip when our paths met on different places along the way...
    See you soon, caminolove

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you all so much for your wonderful sentiments. It makes me endlessly happy to have moved and entertained you all with our words, pictures and adventures. We are so blessed! Can't wait to see you all in person with my fresh Camino eyes. And, just as the real Camino has barely begun, so has the Camino Gypsy Chronicles. More travels to share very very soon. Next stop on the gypsy trail - the Canary Islands and Belgium. Looking forward to it! Much love from your humble pilgrims Kay and Tess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No words to say how happy I'm with your conquest, Caligirl!! I felt happy to read about your arrival in Santiago. I felt touched to read your words!
    Me, my friend, I believe in you!! And how strong you can be! And I wish all the best to you and your Camino Love! You, guys, you're the best and you deserve it!!
    Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel honored to have been reading your posts all these days.amazing journey.amazing women. Sending Laura on her journey today here in Santa Cruz. Will be thinking of you both and know you are here in spirit.

    Congratulations!!!!!
    Patt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou, thankyou for sharing your adventure with us. I'll be honest... this post made me cry. I am leaving in a month for my 1st Camino. Nervous and excited and itching to go. I plan to blog on my iPod touch, which could prove challenging. I've enjoyed following your journey and buen camino to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a pleasure! You will have such an amazing experience. Just remember to treasure both the ups and downs and to live in the moment, step by step. Buen Camino! And when you have a blog let me know and I will post the link up on this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete