Sunday, May 8, 2011

Camino Colloquies

A few weeks ago a friend mentioned that she'd like to know the sort of conversations mom and I have on the trail. So here's just a snippet of some of the highly intellectual exchanges that occur in between long periods of reflective silence.

Mom: I can't hold it any longer. You think those bushes are thick enough?
Tess: I'll 'caw-caw' if I see anyone.
(Seconds pass.)
Tess: Caw-Caw!
Mom: Oh no!
(Hurried zip.)
Tess: Wait... Nope. Thought I heard a car coming. Just the wind through the trees.
Mom: Son-of-a...

Tess: Worm sign! (Our name for trail way markers.)
Mom: What?
Tess: Worm sign.
Mom: You want the time?
Tess: No, WORM SIGN!
Mom: Where?
Tess: On the tree over there.
Mom: Which tree?
Tess: That tree! Right there.
Mom: Oh! (In rap style) "Worm sign, talkin' bout worm sign."

Mom/Tess: Is it time for an olive break yet?
The answer to this is always a definitive, "yes."

Tess: Can you grab my sunglasses?
Mom: Where are they?
Tess: In the side zip.
Mom: Which one? Right or left?
Tess: I don't know, try both.
(Zip)
Mom: Ooh, the chocolate's in this one.
Tess: Ooh, break me off a square.
Mom: One or two?
Tess: Two. Why not.
Mom: Here you go. And one for myself.
(Zip)
Tess: Mmmm.
Mom: Mmmm.
(Moments later.)
Tess: It's getting bright out here. Can you get me my sunglasses?
Mom: Which zip?

Mom: FOT!
(F.O.T. stands for Friend of Tess. In other words, a cat.)
Tess: Where?!
Mom: By the blue shutters.
Tess: Here kitty kitty... Quick, hand me the camera.
(10 minutes later.)
Mom: Can we go now?
Tess: Just one more shot. Oh, look! He's digging for bugs!
(Snap. Snap.)
Mom: Sigh.

Tess: Do you think those are rain clouds?
Mom: No.
Tess: Don't jinx it!
Mom: Sorry.

Tess: There's a bug in your hair.
Mom: I don't care. Let it be.
Tess: I can flick it off for you.
Mom: Don't bother.
Tess: I think it's a spider.
Mom: Oh well.
(Several seconds later.)
Mom: Okay, get it off of me.

Tess: Now, what exactly did the man from the gite say on the phone? Left as you face the church or left away from the church?
Mom: Honestly, I don't know. I could barely understand him.
Tess: Okay, let's call him back.
Mom: I'm pretty sure he said left as you face the church.
Tess: Let's go with that... Wait, there's two churches.
Mom: I'm not calling him back.

Tess: Was that a rain drop? I think I felt a rain drop.
Mom: Look, a patch of sun on the trail!
Tess: Don't jinx it!
Mom: Sorry.

(Turning the corner and seeing a steep hill.)
Mom & Tess: Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Mom: I don't wanna.
Tess: I don't wanna either.
Mom: I want my mommy!
Tess: You are my mommy!
Mom & Tess: Waaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!

(Our motivational sing-song.)
Mom: "Our feet are strong. Our feet are happy."
Tess: "Our legs are strong. Our legs are happy."
Mom: "Our backs are strong. Our backs are happy."
Tess: My right big toe is killing me.
Mom: I'm having back spasms.

Mom: Just think of all the time, ingenuity and effort it took to design and build this canal.
Tess: And the forethought. Pretty amazing. Riquet was a genius.
(Beat.)
Tess: Can we stop for a second? I gotta pick a wedgie.

----------

And now, some final Toulouse pics; although, yesterday's bad weather kept us largely indoors.


Serious FUN. If it didn't involve knocking that kid off, I would've jumped on this spinning disc 'tout de suite.'





A car show paraded by as we ate our petit dejeuner on the Capitol square this morning. This one a WWII American Jeep.


More FUN!


For the ladies back home. Is the outfit on the left to die for or what? Momma like-y.


Also for the ladies back home...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Aubiet, France

2 comments:

  1. At least when you hit Toulouse, it was a place that is actually on the map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool , your conversation was hilarious -- keep it going

    ReplyDelete