Friday, August 26, 2011

Off To See The Wizard

Today, as I set my passport on the Delta ticket counter, the attendant (is there an actual title for the people at the counter? Ticket clerk? Check-in person? Airline ID checker? Forgive me, I know not and do not have access to the Internet, as I'm flying somewhere above the great state of Georgia), asked me my final destination. A rather creepy way to put it, "final destination," considering the terrifying horror movie franchise the phrase conjures up, which I believe does include in some sequel a plane death. Moroseness aside, I smiled at her with my best 'I woke up at 3am' smile and answered, "Belgium."

I don't know what's gotten into me (of course I do; it's love!), but lately I can't help but say the next line to everyone I mention my trip to - the lady at the nail shop, the guy at the dry cleaners, the person handing my my Swan roll and seaweed salad to go. - "To see my boyfriend who lives there." It's funny how heavy with pride that line is delivered to friends or complete strangers. As if I'm now in some secret, elite international club of women with foreign boyfriends. If it was a real club our motto would be, "Just go with it,"... Or better yet, "Act now, ask questions later." We of the Foreign Boyfriend club take chances on love. And We charge everything, even that cup of frozen yogurt, on our airline mileage credit card. We also can't shut up about it apparently. Not so secretive after all.

The Bag Checker Attendant Clerk looked at me, her eyes first lighting up and then growing small and wistful, and said, "I wish I had a boyfriend in Belgium." I should have stopped there, but I opened my big braggart mouth once again and told her, thinking I was being amusing, "We met in Spain actually. Quite international." Yes, I used those exact words, which sound like nails on a chalkboard in retrospect but really was just meant as friendly conversation as she made squiggly pink marks on my boarding pass. "Wow," she said. "Even better. How wonderful. Some people are just lucky. That's the sort of thing I dream about."

I could tell at this point that there was a sort of sadness in the air, so I tried my best to cheer her up. "It was something I always dreamed about too. And finally it came true. It's not luck. You just have to keep focusing on what you want, and it will find you." Look, it was 4am. That's the best I could muster at that ungodly hour! Unfortunately, it didn't work. "I don't think it will happen for me. It's been a really bad year." Oh no. Why do I always get myself into deep conversations with strangers? I'm notorious for accidentally drawing out the life stories of helpline service agents - Comcast, AT&T, AAA, SMUD. I kid you not. I suppose some people are just so surprised to find a curious and genuine listener, they simply can't help themselves.

"I've had a terrible few weeks," I admitted to her. "But a whole year. That would be tough. I'm sorry." As I said it I was secretly asking the Camino to help her. If anyone deserved a "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" moment, it was this Delta worker. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be down in the dumps and to be forced to watch happy travelers excited for their adventures or eager to see loved ones rub it in your face day in and day out. "There was a death in the family this week," she said nearly in tears. Okay, now things were feeling a bit surreal. I would have jumped over the baggage scale to hug her, if I didn't think I'd be tasered in the process. All I could offer was my sympathy and a kind word.

Putting my boarding pass in my purse, she held out her hand to stop me. "Wait. Let me see those again." I gave them to her. "Here. I changed them so you don't have to show your passport again at the gate." She smiled. A little favor for someone who listened. I felt honored. As I walked to the security gate I thought to myself just how right she was. No matter how terrible and stressful my last few weeks have been, I am lucky. I have met the man of my dreams. The best friend anyone could possibly want. And here I was boarding a plane to spend two months by his side. Every day with him would be a privilege. And I wouldn't waste one damn second of it dwelling in the bad.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:The Sky

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story! I'm off to the Camino myself in a couple of days to find my own kind of magic. I'll keep an eye out for your love energy coming from Belgium :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Good luck on your journey. Hannes and I will be thinking about you and sending Buen Caminos from abroad.

    ReplyDelete